Kale Vegetable Soup with Italian Sausage
I don’t know about you but I love soup in the summer! The vegetables are at their prime and so good at this time of year.
Look at this beautiful kale. It is available at the farmers market here almost year round. It is so good for you and I really enjoy adding it to soup. It keeps the curly texture and is just pretty. Kale is one of the most nutritious vegetables there is and is known for helping with cholesterol and has anti cancer fighting properties.
Kale at the Farmer’s Market
- 1 lb. fresh Italian Sausage cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 cups chopped leeks
- 1 14.5 oz. can petit diced tomatoes
- 3 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 10 oz. chopped kale or chopped spinach
- 2 large potatoes chopped into bite size pieces
- 4 - 5 garlic cloves
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 - 3 tablespoons sriracha sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hot peppers (optional)
- Saute sausage in soup pot with oil until browned. Add in leeks and continue to cook until they start to sweat.
- Add in tomatoes, water and chicken stock. Bring up to a boil.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Cook over medium low heat for 60 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasonings about half way thru the cooking time.
Here is another recipe for Portuguese Chouriço and Kale Soup if you’d like to try something different.