Apple Cider Bundt Cake
It’s Bundt Bakers day today and our challenge was to use a favorite beverage to make our cake. Since it’s fall I chose Apple Cider as mine. One of my favorite cakes to bake in the fall is my mom’s apple bundt cake. I had spotted this one however in an old magazine I was reading and opted to bake this one instead, only because it had a buttermilk glaze that coats the cake after it is baked.
I had to take this cake to a pot luck dinner so these pictures were taken there with my cell phone.
Tender apple cake with a buttermilk glaze.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups oil
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup apple cider reduced to 1/4 cup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored — finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts (optional)
- SOAKING SYRUP:
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Reduce 1 cup of apple cider on the stove over medium heat to 1/4 cup. Cool.
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Lightly grease and flour a 10 inch tube or bundt pan.
- Place the sugar, oil, eggs, cider, vanilla, flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in the bowl of a mixer fitted with a paddle; beat until just combined.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add, by hand, the apples and nuts. Mix until combined.
- Place in prepared pan, transfer to the oven, and bake until a tester comes out clean, about 50-60 minutes.
- To make the soaking syrup, place the buttermilk, sugar, butter and baking soda in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 5 minutes and prick the surface of the cake with a toothpick. Brush on the coating syrup and cool for 15 minutes. Invert and remove cake from pan. Brush remaining glaze on top and sides of the cake.
Here’s what the other #BundtBakers are baking this month!
- Apple Cider Bundt Cake from That’s My Home
- Apple Cider Bundt Cake w/ Caramelized Apples from The Freshman Cook
- Apple Cider Bundt Cake from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Apple Cider Pound Cake from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Apple Juice Spice Bundt with Caramel Apple Glaze from Our Good Life
- Apple Spice Latte Bundt from Living the Gourmet
- Black Forest Hot Chocolate Bundt from Baking in Pyjamas
- Cava Bundt Cake from La mejor manera de hacer…
- Chai Bundt Cake from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Chocolate Chai Bundt Cake from Basic n Delicious
- Chocolate Expresso Bundt Cake from En la cocina de Caro
- Dark ‘n Stormy Bundt Cake from Eat, Drink, and Be Mighty
- Earl Grey Bundt Cake with Milk and Honey Glaze from Brooklyn Homemaker
- Margarita Bundt Cake with Candied Limes from How to Philosophize with Cake
- Mexican Hot Chocolate Rose Cake from Faith, Hope, Love & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Milo and Condensed Milk Bundt Cake from Passion Kneaded
- Mojito Bundt Cake from Baking Yummies
- Orange Juice Pine Nut Bundt Cake from A Kingdom for a Cake
- Pacharán & Apple Bundlettes from I love Bundt Cakes
- Pumpkin Coffee Bundt Cake from Los Chatos Chefs
- Pumpkin Spice Latte Bundt Cake from Liv for Cake
- Red Wine Chocolate Bundt Cake from Brunch with Joy
- Root Beer Float Bundt from Food Lust People Love
- Tiramisu Bundt Cake from Patty’s Cake
- Vanilla Chai Honey Latte Bundt from Tartacadabra
- White Chocolate and Espresso Bundt Cake with Coffee Glaze from Taking On Magazines
- White Russian Mini Bundt Cakes from Magnolia Days
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme or ingredient.
Updated links for all of our past events and more information about BundtBakers can be found on our homepage.
Would you like to try a different bundt cake?
Peanut Butter Tagalong Bundt Cake
Chocolate Bundt Cake with Oreo Cheesecake Filling
The come has come out beautiful Mary and apple with walnuts is such a classic combination!
very yummy 🙂
Christiane ~ Taking On Magazines says
Ohhh, I love apple cider too … it’s on of fall’s rites of passage; leaves falling and a hot cup of cider by the fire. Your cake looks absolutely amazing.
Lauren @ Sew You Think You Can Cook says
I love the chunks of apple floating in that lovely cake.
Tux | Brooklyn Homemaker says
This looks and sounds amazing. Nothing better than apple cakes in the fall!
I can’t seem to get enough of apple cider lately. I’m so glad you chose it for this month’s BundtBakers!!!
Olivia @ livforcake says
Looks super yummy. Love apple desserts!
Lara Tartacadabra says
Hi Mary Ellen, your Bundt looks so yummy and moist! I love how beautifully turned out the slice with the pieces of apples!
Wow Mary, your cake looks so moist and wonderful! I would love a slice of this…apple cider is one of my favorites. Great bundt 🙂