Blueberry Pecan French Toast
1 baguette, cut into 20 (1-inch) slices
3 cups milk
1 cup brown sugar, divided
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 cup butter
1 cup pecans, toasted
2 cups blueberries, fresh or individually frozen
— Blueberry Syrup —
1 cup blueberries
1/2 cup maple syrup
1. Coat a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray and arrange the baguette slices in a single layer in the dish.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, 3/4 cup brown sugar, vanilla and nutmeg. Pour the mixture evenly over the bread. Cover and chill for at least 8 hours or overnight.
3. Just before baking, sprinkle the pecans and 2 cups blueberries over the bread. Melt the butter in a small saucepan and add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Stir until dissolved, then pour the mixture over the bread.
4. Bake the dish in a 400-degree oven for about 20 minutes or until golden and bubbling.
5. Meanwhile, to make the blueberry syrup, heat 1 cup blueberries and the maple syrup in a small saucepan for about 3 minutes. Pour the syrup through a sieve; press the blueberries to extract the juice.
6. Serve the French toast immediately with warm blueberry syrup.
Leave a Reply