Secret Sauce With Meatballs
1 cup imported olive oil, divided
1 small onion, finely chopped
8 to 10 cloves garlic, peeled and finely minced
2 (35-ounce) cans of imported whole tomatoes, chopped
3/4 cup good dry white wine
1 teaspoon salt
Black pepper to taste
8 to 12 large leaves of fresh basil
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
2 large leaves fresh basil, finely chopped
2 to 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
1 cup seasoned Italian bread crumbs or crumbled stale Italian bread
1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
6 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 pound ground beef
1. In a stock pot, heat 1/2 cup oil on medium heat. Reduce heat, add onions and cook 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook until light golden.
2. Add tomatoes, wine, salt, pepper, basil and parsley. Cook uncovered, stirring, on medium heat. When sauce evaporates an inch, reduce heat and simmer, stirring regularly.
3. For meatballs. Combine basil, Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, parsley, garlic, eggs and ground beef. Form into small balls.
4. Brown in remaining oil. Put in the sauce and cook and stir.
5. After sauce cooks about 4 hours, turn off and cool on stovetop. When cool, refrigerate and serve next day or day after. Bring to a boil when reheating. Serve over 1 pound cooked pasta. Makes about 6 servings.
Leave a Reply