Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies
This was my mom's favorite Christmas cookie. I think it is a Pillsbury Bake-Off recipe that she started making years ago. Makes a great cookie for a cookie tray.
- 1/2 C. shortening (part butter)
- add 1 square of melted unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 C. brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 t. vanilla
- 1 C. flour
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/8 C. milk
- 1/4 C. white sugar
- 1/4 C. cocoa
- 1/4 C. butter
- Blend shortening and chocolate with the brown sugar. Add the egg. Add the flour and salt. Mix until combined.
- Mix well and roll into balls. (about the size of a walnut) Dip balls in beaten egg white, roll in nuts and bake on a ungreased cookie sheet. With your thumb press in the center of each cookie.
- Bake at 350°F. 10-12 minutes. Cool before frosting.
- Frost with chocolate icing.
- To make chocolate icing add milk, sugar and cocoa to a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and boil 1 minute. Cool and add confectioner's sugar until desired consistency. Frost cookies where you pressed in with your thumb.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin
Leave a Reply