Peppermint Snowballs – Buttery cookies rolled in a peppermint and sugar coating.
Buttery cookies rolled in a peppermint and sugar coating.
- 1 1/4 cups crushed peppermint candies (about 45 round candies)
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a food processor finely grind peppermint candies and 1/3 cup sugar to a powdery consistency; transfer to a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening, and remaining 1 cup sugar until fluffy. Add eggs and extracts; beat until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture; stir until a soft dough forms. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll balls in candy mixture. For best results, place 6 cookies at a time on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 8 minutes; immediately roll hot cookies in candy mixture. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough. Store in an airtight container.