- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Red decorating sugar, for garnish
- Cream butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer. Add confectioners' sugar; beat well. Beat in the egg and extracts. Blend in the flour and salt. Form the dough into two disks and wrap them in plastic. Chill the dough well.
- Remove one disk from the refrigerator. Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness.
- Cut into 1 1/2-inch squares, then cut from each corner of the square almost to the center. Turn over every other cut point to the center and press gently, forming a pinwheel (or poinsettia). Sprinkle the center of each with red sugar. Repeat with the second disk of dough.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place the cookies on greased baking sheets and bake until very lightly golden, about 8 to 10 minutes.