Red Raspberry Swirls
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 1/2 cup seedless red raspberry jam
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds, ground
- In a mixing bowl beat margarine or butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed about 30 seconds or till softened. Add 1 cup of the flour to the margarine. Then add the sugar, egg, milk, baking powder, and, if desired, almond extract. Beat till combined. Then beat or stir in the remaining flour. Cover and chill about 1 hour or till easy to handle.
- For filling, in a small saucepan combine jam and cornstarch. Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Stir in ground almonds. Cover and set aside to cool slightly.
- Divide dough in half. Roll each half between waxed paper into a 12x8-inch rectangle. Spread with filling.
- From a short side, roll up each half jelly-roll style, removing waxed paper as you roll. Moisten and pinch edges to seal. Wrap each in waxed paper or plastic wrap. Chill for 4 to 48 hours.
- Cut dough into ¼ inch-thick slices. Place 2 inches apart onto greased, foil-lined cookie sheets.
- Bake in a 375° oven for 9 to 11 minutes or till edges are firm and bottoms are lightly browned. Remove cookies and cool on wire racks.