- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 1/4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
powdered sugar (2-4 cups)
- Cream butter and sugar in large mixer bowl with electric mixer. Beat in egg until light. Stir in corn syrup, orange rind and water. Mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt. Stir into butter mixture to form a dough.
- Divide dough in half. Wrap in wax paper and refrigerate overnight.
- Heat oven to 325ºF. Have lightly greased baking sheets ready. Roll out one piece of dough at a time on a lightly floured surface or between sheets of floured wax paper to 1/8 -inch thickness. Cut into shapes with cookie cutters.
- Place on baking sheets, leaving 2 inches between each cookie. Bake until golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
- For icing, mix egg white and almond extract in small bowl until frothy. Stir in confectioners' sugar until mixture is a drizzling consistency. Drizzle over cookies. Let stand until icing sets. Store covered.