I never buy canned refried beans, they are so easy to make using dried beans and taste so much better. As with any dried bean you need to soak them overnight or cover them with water in a pan. Bring to a boil and then let set for 30 minutes in the hot water before proceeding with the recipe. It will add a little bit of cooking time to the recipe if you didn’t soak them overnight.
I have gotten so I make more than I need and serve the beans as pictured above and then mash half as refried beans to make burritos with.
- 1 pound dried pinto beans
- 5 cups water
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 - 4 jalapeno peppers
- 1/2 pound ham hocks or salt pork, cut into cubes
- Cover pinto beans with water, and soak overnight. Drain.
- Combine beans, water, onion, garlic, chili powder, jalapeno peppers, salt and ham hocks or salt pork in large kettle. Bring to boiling; lower heat; simmer over low heat for 2 1/2 hours or until beans are very soft. remove ham hocks or salt pork.
- Sometimes instead of mashing the beans, I serve them like the picture above. If you want refried beans proceed with the recipe as written.
- Mash beans well in a medium size bowl; mix well. Cook in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly, until beans are thick and fat has been absorbed. Serve with shredded cheese if desired.
- Yield: 4 cups
Prep time includes soaking time.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin
Leave a Reply