Chicken, Mushroom and Basil Lasagna Recipe
Sunday was one of those days when I had no idea what I wanted to make for dinner. A quick look in my refrigerator revealed a couple of cooked chicken breasts, a package of mushrooms and a box of spinach I had thawed the day before. It only took a few minutes before I had a plan and I decided to whip up this delicious lasagna.
Creamy chicken, mushrooms, basil and cheese layered between pasta and then baked is how you make this delicious Chicken, Mushroom and Basil Lasagna.
- Chicken Filling
- 2 chicken breast halves
- 8 oz. package mushrooms
- 1 small onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or milk
- 1/2 package frozen spinach - squeezed dry
- handful fresh basil, chopped
- Cheese Filling
- 1 1/2 cups small curd cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 8 - 12 lasagna noodles - see note below
- 1 more cup mozzarella cheese
- Cook the lasagna noodles. Drain, rinse and set aside while you make the fillings.
- Poach the chicken breasts and cut into small pieces. Saute the mushrooms and onion together with the olive oil. Stir in the mushroom soup, cream, and spinach. When it comes to a boil turn down to medium heat and cook together for 5 minutes. Add the fresh basil and remove from heat.
- In a small bowl mix together the cottage cheese, mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- To assemble, spray a 8 x 8 pan with cooking spray. Put down a layer of noodles, 1/3 of the chicken mixture and 1/2 of the cheese mixture. Top with another layer of noodles, 1/3 of the chicken mixture and 1/2 of the cheese mixture. Add another layer of noodles and the remaining chicken mixture. Top with the 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 - 35 minutes, until lightly browned and bubbly. Let set for 10 minutes before cutting.
Note: for the noodles, I used a flat lasagna noodle and it only took 2 per layer for a total of 8 noodles, if you use the curly edge lasagna noodles it will take a 4 more.
Featured on: InspiringCooks.com
Leave a Reply