I made the cutest pies the other day. I bought these blueberry pie dishes years ago at King Arthur Flour and rarely use them. I had gone and picked fresh blueberries the other day and have been making blueberry dishes ever since. So far I have made blueberry pies, blueberry syrup, blueberry pancakes, blueberry cheesecake, blueberry cake bars and a friend made blueberry jam.
This was the best place I have ever picked blueberries at. The plants were all in containers so no bending over to pick them. The bushes were also loaded with berries so picking a bucket didn’t take very long. When we first got out of the car we thought we heard gun shots making us about jump back in the car. It turned out that they have an air canon that goes off about every few minutes to scare the non native birds away that are trying to steal the blueberries. We got lucky and the owner turned it off for most of the time we were there. I think the blueberries we picked were the best I had in years, some were so sweet and bursting with fresh blueberry flavor.
My favorite pie crust recipe.
Fresh picked blueberries make the best blueberry pies, these little pies are perfect single serving sizes.
- 6 cups blueberries
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups sugar - depends on the sweetness of the berries
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Double pie crust
- 3/4 cup flour
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- pinch salt
- Wash blueberries. Let drain. Add to a large bowl with the sugar and cornstarch. Let set for 15 minutes.
- Roll out pie dough and cut into circles to fit aluminum small pie pans. Crimp edges if doing the crumb topping. Save the scraps and reroll to cut into strips for lattice.
- Mix together streusel topping in a small bowl.
- Fill the pie tins with berries, mounding slightly in the center. Top with the streusel or weave a lattice top on some. You should have enough pie dough for 3 lattice tops and 3 streusel tops.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake the pies until the crust is golden brown about 30 - 35 minutes.
Maybe you’d like to try our recipe for?